June 3, 2018, marks National Cancer Survivors Day, a time to recognize those living with cancer and to raise awareness of the issues that cancer survivors face beyond treatment. Research shows that tapping into cancer resources can provide patients and families with accurate, up-to-date information, which can decrease stress, offer hope and improve quality of life. The West Valley has numerous support groups, resource centers and organizations that provide education, advocacy and counseling.
Area Support Groups:
- Prostate Cancer: 2nd Thursday of the month, 9 a.m., Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 13724 W. Meeker Blvd., Sun City West
- Breast Cancer: 3rd Tuesday of the month, 6 p.m., Banner Boswell, Memorial Hall West, 13180 N. 103rd Dr., 1st floor, Sun City
- Gynecologic Cancer: 3rd Tuesday of the month, 5:30 p.m., Banner Thunderbird, Outpatient Services, Sierra Conf. Room, 5555 W. Thunderbird Rd., Glendale
- Patient and Caregiver: 2nd Tuesday of the month, 5:30 p.m., Banner Thunderbird, Outpatient Services, Sierra Conf. Room, 5555 W. Thunderbird Rd., Glendale
- Upper Aerodigestive: 1st Tuesday of the month, 5:30 p.m., Banner Thunderbird, Outpatient Services, Sierra Conf. Room, 5555 W. Thunderbird Rd., Glendale
- Cancer: 4th Wednesday of the month, 10 a.m., Banner Boswell, Chapman Conf. Room, 13180 N. 103rd Dr., 2nd floor, Sun City
Resources and Information:
- American Cancer Society Information and Resources, 1-800-227-2345
- Cancer Resource Center sponsored by Banner Boswell Medical Center and American Cancer Society, 10474 W. Thunderbird, Suite 101, Sun City
Volunteers assist with community resources, support groups, complimentary wigs and head coverings. Please call to set up an initial appointment at 623-832-5682.
- Cancer Support Community of Arizona, cscaz.org, 602-712-1006
Offers education, nutrition and movement classes, online support, resources and referrals.