- 4 ounces chopped pecans (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 1 medium red apple, such as Jonathan or Gala, halved, cored, and diced (about 1 1/2 cups total)
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup hot cooked
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded (if desired) and ﬁnely chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried pepper ﬂakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 11/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the pecans and dry cook for 2-3 minutes or until just beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Set aside on a separate plate.
- Heat the 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Cook the celery and onions, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes or until they just begin to get lightly brown on edges. Add the apples and cook for 4 minutes, or until tender crisp. Stir in the pecans and the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the rice mixture is heated.
To cook the rice for this recipe, bring 2 1/4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice, cover, and simmer 33 to 35 minutes longer or until all the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Per serving: 170 calories, 9 g fat (.5 g sat), 160 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein
Recipe courtesy of California Wild Rice Advisory Board