- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 & 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Whisk maple syrup (or brown sugar), vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add spinach, watercress, strawberries and chives; toss to coat.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates and top with pecans and goat cheese.
Tip: To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 4
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
Recipe originally appeared in: EatingWell Magazine, May/June 2009