- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup rolled wheat and/or barley flakes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup dried fruit, such as raisins, cranberries and/or chopped apricots
- 1/2 cup chia and/or hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- To make the hot cereal dry mix: Combine oats, wheat and/or barley flakes, quinoa, dried fruit, seeds, cinnamon and salt in an airtight container.
- To make 1 serving of hot cereal: Combine 1/3 cup Quinoa & Chia Oatmeal Mix with 1 & 1/4 cups water (or milk) in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. Let stand covered for 5 minutes. Stir in a sweetener of your choice and top with nuts and/or more dried fruit, if desired. Makes 1 cup.
Nutritional Information: Serving size: 1/3 cup dry mix
196 calories, 4 g fat(1 g sat), 6 g fiber, 35 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 37 mcg folate, 0 mg cholesterol, 8 g sugars, 0 g added sugars, 6 IU vitamin A, 0 mg vitamin C, 59 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 149 mg sodium, 247 mg potassium
Recipe originally appeared in: EatingWell Magazine, Nov/Dec 2016