- 4 small slices firm white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- Place a 1-cup (8-ounce) ramekin or similar-sized dish on top of a slice of bread and cut around it to trim the bread to fit the dish. Repeat with the remaining 3 slices of bread.
- Combine berries, sugar, water and salt in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until the berries break down, 5 to 6 minutes. Reserve 1/3 cup for garnish; cover and refrigerate.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the remaining berry mixture in the bottom of each ramekin. Top with a slice of bread. Divide the remaining berry mixture between each, then top with another slice of bread.
- Put the puddings on a large plate to catch any overflowing juices. Cover each with plastic wrap, then place a 15-ounce weight, such as a can of beans, on top of each pudding. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.
- To unmold, remove the weight and plastic wrap, run a knife around the inside of the ramekin, and invert onto a dessert plate. Spoon the reserved berry mixture over the puddings.
- *Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutritional Information: Per serving: 243 calories; 2 g fat(0 g sat); 8 g fiber; 55 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 37 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g sugars; 70 IU vitamin A; 72 mg vitamin C; 71 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 201 mg sodium; 277 mg potassium
Recipe originally appeared in EatingWell Magazine, July/August 2007